Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Rolando

Developer: HandCircus
Publisher: ngmoco
Release Date: Dec. 18, 2008
System: iPhone/iPod Touch
ESRB Rating: N/A
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Like LocoRoco if it were actually fun to play instead of just cute.

0:00 Now that I've finally joined the rest of the developed world in the iPhone revolution (by buying an iPod Touch), I thought I'd check out what is widely considered one of the best examples of what iPhone gaming is capable of.

0:01 Already I'm impressed with how easy and quick it is to purchase and download games wirelessly through the App Store. Compared to the pain that is the PSP's online store, it's a wonder.

0:02 "Hey Finger, let's get started," says a roly-poly red ball with a blinking face on the menu screen. As I tilt the iPod he rolls along the edge. Very cute, very reminiscent of LocoRoco. I'm digging the samba music.

0:03 A pop-up book opens to reveal a map and the first level, "Hello Rolando." What is this, a Motorola commercial?

0:04 "Hey Finger! Give me a tap!" I do and Rolando gets a thick white border around him, allowing him to roll as I tilt the iPhone. I don't think I like him calling me "Finger" though.

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: