Thursday, July 31, 2008

Guitar Hero: On Tour

Developer: Vicarious Visions
Publisher: Activision
Release Date: June 22, 2008
System: Nintendo DS
ESRB Rating: E10+
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Keep on rocking in the free world.

0:00 I was a big Guitar Hero fan who turned into a bigger Rock Band fan when Harmonix moved on to their new series. The idea of a version that I can play anywhere is intriguing, even as I worry about the Guitar Grip and the lack of Harmonix involvement.

0:01 This minute was spent opening and setting up the ridiculous the Guitar Grip controller attachment, which bulges almost obscenely out of the GBA slot on my DS Lite. The pick-shaped stylus that's included is a nice touch.

0:02 The introductory screen warns me to take frequent breaks to avoid cramps. This is not encouraging.

0:03 The screen seems upside-down until I realize I'm supposed to hold the guitar grip in my left hand. Feels a bit awkward, but no more awkward than the regular Guitar Hero controllers.

0:04 I start a new Career and choose my favorite frontman, Axel Steel, partly because of his ridiculous name and partly because "he shreds his guitar like it's cheese," according to his bio. Add in a Flying V guitar and we're ready to rock!

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: