Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Don King Presents: Prizefighter

Developer: Venom Games
Publisher: 2K Sports
Release Date: June 10, 2008
Systems: Xbox 360 (reviewed), Nintendo DS, Wii
ESRB Rating: T
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Only in America.

0:00 My experience with boxing games begins and ends with the Punch-Out!! series, and I've been OK with that -- until today!

0:01 "Endurance!, Excitement! If I can do it, you can do it! They say in America anybody can do it!" Don King's voice is mixed in with a generic rap about the thrill of boxing over a red-and-black title screen. The effect is unique, to say the least.

0:02 The difficulty levels are Amateur, Contender and Champion. I could have been a Contender -- and I am. The Don King rap continues. I swear I just heard a line about a blueberry muffin.

0:04 I guess I'll start with the "Training." Boston's "Long Time" plays over the loading screen for some reason.

0:06 The jump rope training is just a glorified rhythm game with no music. I have to press the buttons that scroll under my jumper's feet. It gets tough pretty quickly, even at the Contender difficulty. "Perfect! You're training like a boxing monster," says my trainer in a voice that sounds like he's been beaten down by the world.

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: