Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mr. Robot

Developer: Moonpod
Publisher: Moonpod
Release Date: Jan. 10, 2007
System: PC
ESRB Rating: N/A
Official Web site

In a nutshell: The latest Robot Role-Playing Game (or RRPG)

0:00 I vaguely remember some minor buzz for this game when it first came out, and I tend to like action puzzle games, so I figured it was worth a try.

0:02 After some longish loading, a ship flies by a starscape. "For decades, the starship Eidolon has burned its way across space." It's going to Prime, a potential new world for humanity. It's been a long voyage for the cryo-sleeping passengers and their robot tenders. Does that include our eponymous Mr. Robot, perhaps? The head robot is named HEL. Heh. "Lately, things haven't been running as smoothly as HEL would like. It would be quite a worry for him... if he were capable of such an emotion." That's what we in the biz call foreshadowing...

0:04 An isometric view of a metal room. A communications panel pops up: "1138, this is HEL. Go to Sector 2 immediately. I've got another rogue bot on the loose and I need you to clean up the mess." I'm a cute little rounded yellow robot who can walk around with the mouse or keyboard. 1138 kind of slides around on the floor as he changes direction. Pretty cute.

0:06 A female robot named Zelda calls me "Honey" and tells me that the rogue bot knocked over some crates (that rogue!). She asks me to push the boxes back. It's not the most subtle tutorial I've ever seen, but not the worst either. "Good work Asimov. You're my No. 1 bot," Zelda says. Awww...

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: