Sunday, May 11, 2008

I-Ninja

Developer: Argonaut
Publisher: Namco
Release Date: Nov. 18, 2003
Systems: PS2 (reviewed), Gamecube, Xbox, PC
ESRB Rating: T
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Like an iPod, but with more Ninja, I guess?

0:00 I remembered hearing some vaguely good things about this action-platformer years back, so when I saw it for $5 on a clearance rack, I couldn't say no.

0:01 The Namco logo just got attacked by shurikens. The Argonaut logo is slashed in half. I don't know which is preferable.

0:02 "Feel my steel," says our hero ninja as he automatically beats up a bunch of generic-looking bad guys in the background of the title screen. Everything is very rounded and pleasantly old-school cartoon-style.

0:03 In a cut scene, our hero jumps across some steps. He finds his sensei chained and guarded by generic grey ninjas. He takes out the guards quickly and slashes the chains, then takes out a big green monster just as quickly. A red thing rises from his gaping maw. When the Ninja grabs it he goes berserk and kills the sensei. Wait, what? Did that actually just happen? "What have I done? Master... you're dead." Ghost sensei tells him these special rage stones are valuable and have to be retrieved. "Ugh, he's dead and still all he can think about is my training," says our hero. Er, you were the one who killed him.

0:04 There's a busted giant robot on the beach. He was governor of this region, according to sensei. A robot governor? Hey, just like Schwarzenegger!

0:06 On to the action. Attacks are suitably button-mashy, but it's relatively easy to redirect and dodge as I attack. I like the double jump, too. So far, so good.

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: