Thursday, May 8, 2008

MLB 08: The Show

Developer: SCEA
Publisher: SCEA
Release Date: March 4, 2008
Systems: PS3 (reviewed), PS2, PSP
ESRB Rating: E
Official Web site

In a nutshell: MLB 07: The Show + 1

0:00 I played MLB 07 a bit after I reviewed it for lunch about a year ago, but the last time I really got into a baseball game was back in the NES days.

0:01 I'm downloading a 36 MB update. I'm reeeeeally getting tired of this, Sony.

0:05 The update is installing. The download wasn't quite as bad this time.

0:06 "2007: Year of the Milestone" flashes across the screen. "In 1989 Sammy Sosa made his major league debut..." He was chasing the "600 club" re: home runs, and he got it in a fetching Rangers uniform. Some nice full-screen game footage here, then an abrupt transition to a legalese loading screen and the title. Gives the game a good sense of history.

0:08 After some longish initial loading, the game asks me to create a profile. An old-timey baseball radio announcer comes on in the background -- nice touch -- then transitions into the song "Low Rider." Not as nice.

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: