Thursday, April 30, 2009

Patapon 2

Developer: Pyramid/Japan Studio
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Release Date: May 5, 2009
System: PSP
ESRB Rating: E
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Chaka-pata-pon-pata-chaka-pata-pata-chaka-pon-pon-pata-GET-OUT-OF-MY-HEAD

0:00 I somehow resisted the buzz surrounding the original, despite my love for all things rhythmic and cute. I played this sequel for roughly five seconds at CES, and it left me with a desire to play more. Will I feel the same way after an hour? Let's see.

0:01 When I bring up the Patapon icon on the PSP menu, I hear the cutest little nonsense rap from what sounds like a chorus of kids: "Pata-pata-pata ... PON! Jan-J-Jan-J-Jan-Jan!" I scroll up and down to listen to it over and over! CUTE!

0:02 Breathy didgeridoo music mixes with the same chorus of kids singing "Pata" over and over. A little black ... limbed ... eyeball ... thing carrying a HUGE axe brings it down, bringing up the title screen as he does. Now the music is vibrant with Patapons singing gibberish (and maybe some Japanese)? Reminds me of the beginning of LocoRoco a LOT!

0:04 A bunch of the tiny black eyeballs with limbs are fixing up a ship. They bravely set off on a voyage, hitting storms and rough seas and such, but they refuse to give up, according to the overly quick text. Then, after 49 days and 49 nights, a giant squid brings the ship down. "Their fate unknown, what will happen to the Patapons now?" They'll all die. The end!

0:05 Not really. Instead, I get to read the Patapon Oath. "I hereby pledge to honor and keep my promise to the Great Leader of the Patapons and help them reach Earthend." And et cetera and so on. I sign with the X button and we're off!

***-->CONTINUE READING AT CRISPY GAMER<--***

____________________________________________________

No comments: