Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

Developer: Midway
Publisher: Midway
Release Date: Nov. 16, 2008
Systems: Xbox 360 (reviewed), PS3
ESRB Rating: M
Official Web site

In a nutshell: What happens when bad comics meet bad fighting games?

0:00 I was never a big Mortal Kombat fan ... I was more a Street Fighter man growing up. I also think the idea behind this game is ludicrous ... so ludicrous that I just HAVE to try it out.

0:01 A minute gone for the inevitable downloadable update. This also gives me time to get my crappy Hori fighting stick out of the closet.

0:02 No over-the-top intro video? Just a title screen with some vague lightning and/or fire in the background? Midway ... you disappoint me.

0:03 At least the menu screen has Batman and Scorpion, standing dramatically in their 3-D glory on some rooftops. The background noise barely counts as music ... "atonal rhythmic drumming" might be a better description.

0:04 My fighting stick only has six buttons, meaning at least two of the eight control buttons are going to have to be jettisoned. I decide to forgo the "3D movement" and "grab" functions. I hate that I have to waste one button on "block." Real men just hold "back" on the joystick!

0:05 The "Kombat CPU" difficulty goes from Very Easy to Very Hard, with Easy, Medium and Hard in between. I leave it at Medium. I know I should be playing another human, but there's no one around (as usual) and I'm embarrassed to show my awful MK skills online.

***-->CONTINUE READING AT CRISPY GAMER<--***

____________________________________________________

No comments: