Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sony's E3 Booth in PlayStation Home

Developer: Sony
Publisher: Sony
Release Date: June 15, 2010
System: PS3
ESRB Rating: N/A

In a nutshell: A bold, annoyingly inconvenient new way to watch trailers.

0:00 I tried out PlayStation Home when it first launched over a year ago and found it extremely boring. But I've been feeling a bit sad that I didn't make it out to E3 this year, so when Sony announced at their press conference that they were providing a virtual show floor in PlayStation Home, I figured it was a good excuse to see if the "virtual world" experience has changed significantly since the launch. My expectations are not high.

0:01 Downloading Version 1.36 of the Home software looks like it will take only take a few minutes.

0:02 And we're all downloaded and installed... only to find that "PlayStation Home is closed for essential maintenance." I bet the real E3 booth isn't closed for essential maintenance.

0:03 Online research suggests that Home has been down since 8 a.m. local time so they can load up a new Home Square and a new Playground area. That means it's been down more than three hours now. Guess I'll pause the clock, grab a shower and a bit to eat and check back later.

0:03 1 p.m. local time and Home is still down for maintenance. Good thing I have other work to do.

0:04 I log in once more at 4:06 p.m. local time and get an "Open Beta Agreement" instead of an error message. And we're off!

0:05 Wow, the text is INCREDIBLY tiny on this non-HD CRT screen. I have to squint and lean in just to read a message introducing the E3 area. Apparently I can also gain access to a "VIP room" with "exclusive videos." All right... now I have a goal for the hour. VIP Room or bust!

___________________________________________________

No comments: