Monday, May 10, 2010

Data East Arcade Classics [Games for Lunch]

Developer: G1M2

Publisher: Majesco
Release Date: Feb. 19, 2010
System: Wii
ESRB Rating: T
Official Web site

​In a nutshell: Their definition of "classic" is inconsistent.

0:00 I'm a big fan of classic gaming, but the Data East name doesn't really trigger any warm nostalgia for me. Still, I figured this one was worth a quick spin on the GameFly queue, if for no other reason than to improve my classic gaming knowledge.

0:01 The little blooping theme on the preview screen seems familiar, but I can't quite place it.

0:02 The loading screen has the characters from Burger Time running by. Oh my God, Burger Time! How could I forget that was Data East? It's one of my favorite arcade games ever!

0:03 The title screen and menus are pretty plain, as is the super generic background music. Feels a bit like a rush job. The list goes alphabetically, so I start with Bad Dudes, which I remember playing occasionally on the NES.

0:04 "Rampant Ninja related crimes these days... whitehouse is not the exception. President Ronnie has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?" You've gotta love that quality retro gaming translation.

0:05 Characters are much bigger and better animated in this arcade version, when compared to the NES. Kicking these endless streams of ninjas is surprising satisfying.

___________________________________________________

No comments: