Monday, February 2, 2009

Savage Moon

Developer: FluffyLogic
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Release Date: Jan. 29, 2008
System: PS3
ESRB Rating: E
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Boring Tower Defense

0:00 I can't say I'm too psyched about playing yet another tower defense game right now, especially when PixelJunk Monsters fills that niche on my PS3 just fine. Still, Sony sent me a voucher to download this one, so it deserves its due.

0:01 This minute spent installing the 207 MB file that I spent 20 minutes downloading. I won't count that download time in the hour because I'm trying to be the bigger man here.

0:02 "PRIOR TO PLAY SEE THE SAFETY AND SUPPORT SECTION IN YOUR PS3 MANUAL." That's a bit worrying ... I don't remember that at the beginning of other PS3 games. Then we're right to a menu/title screen, with a driving drum beat and some transparent gears whirring in the background.

0:03 The controls list one button for "Open menu/Select tower/Select option" and one button for "Cancel/Close menu." The rest is just camera controls. I don't know whether that's a nice simplicity or just overly simplistic...

0:04 This minute spent scrolling through a 14-part EULA before I can start the freakin' game. The first level is called "Agamemnon" on "Moon Nebula XIPE." Wait, moon nebula? I'm no astronomer, but I'm pretty sure those words don't go together.

0:05 A quick pan over a desolate, red moonscape with some machines and pipes laid throughout. "Welcome Commander. I am Lieutenant Major Durutti, and I am here to train you for your assignment code-named 'Savage Moon.'" OK then!

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: