Thursday, February 26, 2009

Prinny: Can I Really be the Hero?

Developer: NIS
Publisher: NIS America
Release Date: Feb. 17, 2009
System: PSP
ESRB Rating: T
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Dood, it's, actually kind of easy so far, dood.

0:00 When our own James Fudge called this "one of the hardest games I've played in a long time" and "a hardcore platformer featuring some familiar platforming elements," I knew GameStop was getting my $40.

0:01 The title screen features a large red penguin slashing the title. Dark, tilting windmills are in the background along with some nice peppy violin music.

0:02 The difficulties are "Standard" and "Hell's Finest." Man, they aren't messing around here, are they? Based on James' description, I think I'll stick with Standard, which allows three hits before dying. I can change during play if I pick wrongly, a very nice touch.

0:03 "Oh crap, dood! I'm so late!" says a chirpy voice off-screen. A rotund purple penguin runs in and is taunted by a talking sign: "late late late for your fate fate fate!" Some bombs start falling from the sky and the penguin starts freaking out and rushing towards a castle. I'm loving the expressive animation and hand-drawn sprites.

0:05 Already I'm in control. A sign tells me how to double jump, so I guess we can check off that prerequisite for "good platform game."

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

1 comment:

Analphabetapolotholgy said...

This one looks to be a great platformer for the PSP. I miss these kinds of games nowadays. It makes me think of Klonoa for some reason.

I am a new fan of your blog. Keep up the good work!