Monday, June 9, 2008

Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest

Developer: Saru Brunei
Publisher: Atlus
Release Date: Nov. 10, 2002
System: GameCube
ESRB Rating: E

In a nutshell: The building blocks of evolution.

0:00 The box quotes IGN as saying this is "one of the most bizarre games ever created." If that ends up being true, I don't see any reason I won't love it.

0:01 A huge roar issues forth from a monster with a GameCube for a face and box flaps for legs. He scampers to the middle of the screen and deposits what looks to be a steaming dookie in the middle of the floor. Simpler, two-flap creatures flop around the, uh, excrements on a bare white stage. Cue piano!

0:03 Primal Mighty Mite Piggy ACE is created (I always name my characters ACE, FYI). "I feel so nice, so warm. I remember in great detail a past I neither saw nor heard. Once upon a time, the world was full of Wilderness and dazzling, colorful beasts thundered across its untamed plains." Then colorless beasts devoured the Wilderness, using raw meat to give them power. One called Killer Cubivore became king of the world, "If nothing is done, the Wilderness will disappear and the world will wither and fade. I want to survive. That's the first thought I ever had. I want to survive." Heady stuff.

0:04 "Ahh... I am born. I am alive. I am Piggy ACE. I came into this world a beast. I shall eat and eat and become king of all Cubivores." Ambitious!

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: