Friday, June 19, 2009

Tokyo Beatdown


Developer: Success
Publisher: Atlus
Release Date: March 31, 2009
System: Nintendo DS
ESRB Rating: T
Official Web site

In a nutshell: This game deserves to be beat down.

0:00 My favorite kind of beatdown is one in a city I've never been to. My expectations are pretty low -- a halfway-decent, action-heavy brawler would be enough.

0:01 A bunch of police cars come cresting over a hill. The camera pans up to the title, followed by rapid cuts of the cast. Captain Takeshi Bando fires a rocket. Special Officer Lewis Cannon fires a gun. Sergeant Riyo Suzuki clings to the top of a subway car. Grainy 3-D models strut around a grayish city. Chief Eiji Watanabe downs a drink. High-impact music continues as we finish on a shot of the five heroes behind a maze of police tape. "KEEP OUT," it reads.

0:03 A guy in a white leisure suit gets out of a car. "Big trouble in Shibuya! Beat down crime and restore peace!" OK then.

0:04 I can walk around clunkily with the d-pad. I can move into and out of the screen slightly, but I constantly face directly right or left. It's pretty standard for these types of games, but it feels a bit weird with the 3-D models.

0:05 I talk to Kika Hyodo. "Lewis, don't go crazy and start a riot, alright? You don't want the chief on your case again." The music has transitioned to some crazy xylophone synth.

0:06 The first enemies ... a foursome clad in all-black. I punch and kick my way through them easily. Well, one kicks me in the back of the head, but I'm OK...

***-->CONTINUE READING AT CRISPY GAMER<--***

____________________________________________________

No comments: