Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Closure

Closure
Developer: Tyler Glail
Publisher: Newgrounds
Release Date: Jan. 23, 2009
System: PC
ESRB Rating: N/A
Official Web site

In a nutshell: But that would spoil it!

0:00 After seeing three separate recommendations for this game in as many days, I decided I had to try it out. That said, I still don't really know what the game is about, despite some rather vague explanations, so I'm going in largely blind. If you want to do the same, might I recommend hitting the "Official Web site" link before reading any further.

0:01 This minute spent on a loading screen with a creepy heartbeat and a system of arteries and veins filling up with blood to represent the loading progress.

0:02 The scene is rendered in extremely sketchy black and white. It looks like I'm a guy hold a ball drawn in chalk. Above me, a sign with an arrow pointing right. Behind me, a car crashed into a tree on fire. In front of me, inky blackness. Let's DO THIS!

0:03 As I walk, the ball of light surrounding me reveals my immediate surroundings. The credits are written in the background as I pass by. I drop the ball in a holding pedestal and four more similar pedestals light up and appear on the corners of the screen. The title appears in the middle. Hmm...

0:04 I fall to my death in the inky void a couple of times trying to figure out what to do next. Turns out I have to jump to the upper right ball-holder, pick up the ball, and walk a bit to the door. In the next room: "If you get stuck: K, R, Enter." There's a real creepy vibe to the whole thing, exacerbated by the background noise that sounds like a boiler room.

0:05 I walk up to the next door, but a message appears on the wall: "I need more light." I go grab a second and the door becomes openable. In the next room, the message "come on ... through" is written on the wall, with a wall in the middle of the words. It seems that anything not actively illuminated doesn't exist, but as soon as I get near the wall, a light source on the other side makes it corporeal and blocks my way. Hmmm...

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: