Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Developer: Intelligent Systems
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: Jan. 21, 2008
Systems: Nintendo DS
ESRB Rating: E10+
Official Web Site

In a nutshell: "Apocalypse Cute"

0:00 I've been a big fan of this series on the GBA, but I was a little scared it was getting too complicated and difficult with the first DS edition (I know, I'm a wimp). Here's hoping this one slows the trend.

0:01 The options screen has a microphone test. This scares me, as I can't imagine talking into the DS improving this game at all.

0:02 "Our world is destroyed. Fire rained from the sky. The land burned. The earth shook. The oceans raged... Dust covered the earth, blotting out all traces of the sun." Cheery! Are you sure Nintendo made this game?

0:03 Will, our protagonist, stands in the ruins, looking for any survivors. He finds some, but they're a band of murderous raiders, led by the improbably named "The Beast."

0:04 I already like the new zoom function. With just a tap of R, you can switch between up-close and far-off views. Handy!

0:05 Military dudes Brenner and Lin swoop in mid-tutorial to help save me from certain, outgunned defeat. "This world's dead, soldier boy, and so is your precious duty!!" taunts The Beast. The writing's not half bad, surprisingly.

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

1 comment:

PsyGuy said...

haven't been here in a while... but i just saw this to realize:
1. omg! this game is out!
2. i love advanced wars!