Friday, August 15, 2008

New Intenational Track and Field

Developer: Sumo Handheld
Publisher: Konami
Release Date: July 22, 2008
System: Nintendo DS
ESRB Rating: E10+
Official Web Site

In a nutshell: Disqualified for excessive button mashing.
0:00 The thick of the Beijing Olympics seems the perfect time to try this modern, portable retread of a button-mashing arcade classic.

0:01 An X-TREME sounding-announcer announces the title of the game. On the bottom screen, some extremely big-headed, big-eyed characters compete in hurdles, javelin, running, etc. They all seem stereotypical in some way, from the huge Afro on the black runner to the hair streaks on the "goth."

0:02 "Welcome to New International Track and Field. I am the referee and I will be your guide." The music is a light techno remix of the Chariots of Fire theme. Nice!

0:03 I can choose my nationality from 60 options! Part of me wants to claim to be from Luxembourg, but Olympic fever has got my patriotism levels up. U-S-A! U-S-A!

0:05 I can only choose an Easy Career mode to start. Lame! What if I'm an Olympic-caliber button masher already?

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: