Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Bionic Commando: Rearmed

Developer: GRIN
Publisher: Capcom
Release Date: Aug. 14, 2008
Systems: PS3 (reviewed), Xbox 360, PC
ESRB Rating: M
Official Web site

In a nutshell: I miss the jump button.

0:00 I never really played the original Bionic Commando. I remember I had a neighbor friend who liked it, but I always insisted we play Super Mario Bros. instead when I was over. And the rest is history.

0:01 "Let me tell you about the man I met when I was still young..." says some white text on a grey background. They found a secret military document, describing the defunct Project Albatross. A power-mad Admiral decided to carry it off himself. So "Super Joe" went in to stop him, but all contact was lost. So now someone else is sent in to find Super Joe. "This is where our story begins." I love the remixed chiptune music.

0:02 Let's start with "basic tutorial." My grappling-hook arm can shoot straight ahead, straight up or diagonally. I can use it to climb up to platforms. Seems straightforward enough.

0:05 I can also use my arm to pull blocks and swing from ceilings, Spider-Man-style. "Now you are in a swing, and will continue to swing for all eternity without having to push another button." All eternity? Really? What if the sun explodes? Will I still be swinging?

0:07 Having some trouble timing my grapples in mid-air, but I eventually get it. I'm a little annoyed at the lack of a jump button. What kind of self-respecting platform game doesn't have a jump button? Super Mario Bros. had a jump button, that's for sure!

***-->CONTINUE READING AT CRISPY GAMER<--***

____________________________________________________

No comments: