Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner

Developer: Telltale Games
Publisher: Telltale Games
Release Date: Aug. 11, 2008
Systems: Wii (reviewed), PC
ESRB Rating: T
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Cooler than a bag full of fluffy-puff mashmallows.

0:00 I'm a cool, attractive person, and a somewhat lapsed fan of Strong Bad and Homestar Runner, so this game seems right up my alley! I warn you now that a lot of this review won't make sense if you aren't a fan of the site. I just don't have the inclination to explain every character and in-joke.

0:01 "No time for the e-mails right now. I've got OTHER plans for the lappy today." So says Strong Bad on the preview screen as he types in the command to launch the game.

0:02 Old-school synth-y chiptune music over the logos and title. A 3-D Strong Bad walks out in front of the title screen: "Check me out! ... I'm ready for my close-up!" The 3-D model looks generally authentic, but a little off, somehow.

0:04 The options include an interesting "Give hints" option. Let's keep that at "Medium" for now. Also, the main menu is set up like the HR home page, complete with audio commentary when I hover over options. My favorites: Strong Bad saying "Sah-vay low-ad" when I hover over "save/load." and Homestar declaring "Quitters never win" when I consider quitting.

0:05 I think I figured out the problem with the character models: The animation is too stiff and the mouth movement doesn't quite match the audio. Also, the faces look too pixilated. It's not awful, just noticeable.

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: