Friday, September 26, 2008

Kirby Super Star Ultra

Developer: HAL Laboratory
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: Sept. 22, 2008
System: Nintendo DS
ESRB Rating: E
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Better in retrospect.

0:00 The original Kirby Super Star is one of my all-time favorite SNES games, thanks mainly to the wide variety of gameplay modes and the excellent two-player platforming. No second player here right now, though. Will the experience hold up after a decade?

0:01 The cut scene intro, with Kirby flying in on a yellow star, is surprisingly similar to the one I remember so well from the original, except rendered in faux 3-D and with too-smooth animation. I think I liked the old one better.

0:02 Of the main game modes, only "Spring Breeze" is open currently. It's sad, but I can't even remember if I had to unlock these games in the original, or if they started out as available. The classic music really brings me back.

0:03 Let's check out some new stuff first, the "three simple but deep sub-games," as the top screen describes them. Everything is touch-screen-controlled. "Kirby Card Swipe" is first. Sounds like a credit card instructional video?

0:04 Wow ... that's even simpler than I imagined. A card shows up on the top screen and I have to click the matching card from among four on the bottom screen. The presentation is cute, but it's definitely not "deep."

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: