Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Spore

Developer: Maxis
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Release Date: Sept. 7, 2008
Systems: PC (reviewed), Mac, Nintendo DS
ESRB Rating: E-10+
Official Web site

In a nutshell: SimEverything

0:00 I know I already covered the Spore Creature Creator in this very column, but I feel the full game is big enough to get another taste.

0:01 I'm not including in my count the 15 minutes or so it took to install the game, nor the 15 additional minutes it took to find and install a new graphics drivers. This is why I hate PC gaming, right here.

0:02 The EA logo on a starry background, then a bunch of 2-D critters fly into a black hole in the center of the Spore logo. The black holes turns into a galaxy, then a "sign-in" screen pops in and ruins the magic.

0:03 After logging in, a persistent bell chimes as the galaxy slowly spins. A few huge planets sit atop the spiral arms of the galaxy. I pick one at random to start a New Game.

0:04 In the Cell Stage, I will "nurture [my] creation from its humble aquatic origins to its evolution as a sentient species in the epic journey of Spore." Epic! I can choose a herbivore or a carnivore. Meatasaurus, plz! I choose Normal difficulty and name my planet Kyle's Orb-land. Heh. I crack me up.

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: