Wednesday, September 3, 2008

MLB Power Pros 2008

Developer: 2K Sports
Publisher: Konami
Release Date: July 29, 2008
Systems: Wii (reviewed), PS2, DS
ESRB Rating: E
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Super cute happy fun baseball game time!
0:00 I haven't really read anything concrete, but I'm already a fan of the super-deformed characters and the simplistic, arcade-style baseball they seem to imply. I'm encouraged by the 2K and Konami names on the box, too.

0:01 After a few seconds of loading and logos, a ball sits on an oddly detailed field. Guitar-heavy rock comes in as heat haze obscures views of a lone pitcher and batter, both with small bodies and huge heads. Similarly deformed versions of a bunch of real-life players flash by alongside action photos of their real-life counterparts. "MLB Power Pros" yells the announcer, repeating the name again when I push the + button to start. We get it, it's the name of the game!

0:03 Bad sign: The game supports four different controllers! Usually I prefer they focus on one good control scheme. I go with just the Wii remote for now because I'm too lazy to go get the Nunchuk.

0:04 Good lord! The menu screen is crowded with 12 different gameplay options, including "baseball cards," "shop," and "MLB Life." Only one of these modes ("Wii Remote") seems to support my current Nunchuk-free control scheme. I try the "Home Run" derby as a simple intro.

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: