Thursday, June 10, 2010

FiNCK

Developer: Nicklas Nygren
Publisher: Nicklas Nygren
Release Date: May 24, 2010
System: PC
ESRB Rating: N/A

In a nutshell: The puzzle-based sequel that Super Mario Bros. 2 unfortunately never got.

0:00 I liked the last Nicklas Nygren game I played , Knytt Stories, quite a bit. This one looks a lot like Super Mario Bros. 2 from the trailer, and I couldn't be happier with that turn.

0:01 "Well, um, I'm late to class because..." reads small white text on a black screen. A quick intro. screen reads "TUTORIAL" before my forlorn looking, purple-skinned character drops in. Amazing how sad he looks despite bing rendered in so few pixels -- like a dejected teenager.

0:02 Move with the left and right keys. S to do a nice springy jump. A to pick up/throw boxes and enemies. The down arrow throws a box straight down and gives a little double-jump style boost as well. Note that I'm not including the half hour it took for me to configure my PS3 controller to work with my laptop, but its working beautifully now.

0:03 "You will jump higher if holding a bird." Protip: DO NOT try this in real life. It DOES NOT WORK. Trust me.

0:04 On to Area 1, even though I got none of the coins floating about the tutorial. Cue some beautiful, haunting string music. It tickles my auditory pleasure center almost immediately

0:05 Grabbing a red bird sends me flying up and... off the top of the screen to my death. Oops.

___________________________________________________

No comments: