Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Metapost: The First Hour

This Sunday I got a rather surprising e-mail from one Greg Noe, the creator of "The First Hour" blog. Greg writes weekly game reviews based on just the first hour of play, just like I do here daily at Games for Lunch. That's not the surprising part; I've gotten similar e-mails from the creators of other sites. The surprising part is that, apparently, Greg has been doing this for 15 months (nearly as long as I have) without either of us knowing about the other until now.

A recent post on The First Hour, Greg says he was a bit discouraged when he found he wasn't actually "unique among the vast sea of video game reviewers and journalists." Still, I'm glad to read that this initial shock isn't leading Greg to stop his work. There isn't any special talent I have that makes me uniquely qualified to write hour-long game reviews. In fact, I think as many people as possible should take up the form as a way to analyze how they feel about games and improve their writing and critical thinking skills.

Anyway, if you like Games for Lunch, you'll probably also enjoy The First Hour, seeing as they're practically exactly alike. Although, as Greg notes, he has a lot more screenshots with his reviews. Maybe I should do something about that...

No comments: