Wednesday, June 25, 2008

NBA Ballers: Chosen One

Developer: Midway
Publisher: Midway
Release Date: April 21, 2008
Systems: PS3 (reviewed), Xbox 360
ESRB Rating:E
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Choose a different game.

0:00 I know next to nothing about this game, but I loved NBA Jam and NFL Blitz, so if it's anything like them, I should love it.

0:01 You know what I hate? Games that have loading screens that just load animated logos. This game included.

0:02 Some guys in suits are walking through a lobby. Helicopters are flying in from the other side. A guy in a Hawks jersey puts in the key for the penthouse and goes up the elevator. On the other side, another player gets out of the helicopter. Some screaming fans are in the penthouse, for some reason. The players point at each other and play a pickup game IN THE SUITE! Now that's a good way to lose your deposit.

0:03 The game gets bonus points already for being a PlayStation 3 title that needs no installation or downloadable update. It loses those points, though, for the extremely generic, SNES-era MIDI music in the background.

0:05 I can't go into the Story Mode until I create a Custom Baller. This smacks of laziness to me. The designers couldn't just make a few default players for me to jump in with?

0:06 I name my guy Basket Baller (B. Baller, for short). He was born in 1908, but doesn't look a day over 98. Seriously, why do they let me choose a birthday if the guy's gonna look 23 no matter what?

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: