Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Spiderwick Chronicles

Developer: Stormfront Studios
Publisher: Sierra
Release Date: Feb. 6, 2008
Systems: Xbox 360 (reviewed), Wii, PS2, DS, PC
ESRB Rating: E10+
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Your source for unintentionally hilarious voice acting.

0:00 I think this game is based on a movie or something. I've never heard of it, but Sierra sent it over, so I guess I'll play it. That's right: I have no shame. Send me a game, and I will play it and write about it. Operators are standing by!

0:01 A title screen with a haunted-looking house quickly gives way to demo footage of some generic school-kid characters swinging sticks, shooting slingshots, and doing other things that don't start with "s." Also, one of the characters appears to be a human-sized balding mouse. More as it develops.

0:02 The default brightness is so low that I can't even see the options screen very well to set it. Something is wrong with either this game or my TV.

0:03 Adjusting the voice volume in the options screen results in one character saying "Cool!" over and over again at different volumes. I find this so hilarious that I waste a full minute just moving the slider.

0:04 Considering this game is probably designed for five-year-olds, I boldly choose the "Hard" difficulty. That's right. NO FEAR!

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

No comments: