Friday, May 30, 2008

UEFA Euro 2008

Developer: EA Canada
Publisher: EA Sports
Release Date: May 20, 2008
Systems: PS3 (reviewed), PS2, PSP, Xbox 360, PC
ESRB Rating: E
Official Web site

In a nutshell: Football as 99% of the world knows it.
0:00 I've actually never played a soccer video game before unless you count Super Mario Strikers -- and you really shouldn't, as that game has fireballs and turtle shells and stuff. I did play some little league soccer in my youth, though, so I know how the game works. You try and put the ball in the net, right?

0:01 This minute spent downloading a seemingly mandatory 68 MB version 1.02 update for the game.

0:10 The past 10 minutes spent the same way as minute 0:01.

0:11 The UEFA logo comes flying in with some peppy music over snowy peaks and a fast-moving, cloudy sky. "Hello I'm Clyde Tillsy(?) and it's my pleasure to introduce you to EA Sports' UEFA Euro 2008." He explains that you can earn points when you win games (more points for games you aren't expected to win), and these points are used online to represent your nation in an online leaderboard. Hooray for nationalism! "Good luck, and perhaps you can be the champion gamer, or part of the champion nation of gamers, in UEFA Euro 2008."

0:14 So I have to pick the nation that I'll represent in the online leaderboards. Interestingly, I can play as any country I want, but this pick for who I "represent" is irrevocable after I make it. Not being from Europe myself, I pick Liechtenstein, with its half-star rating and population of 35,000 people, mainly because I feel bad for it. Also, it's fun to say. Lick-ten-shtine!

Read the full review at Crispy Gamer

1 comment:

no.good.at.coding said...

Ah, finally! They've added the image over at CrispyGamer ( or was that just you? ).

Next up, link it to the "Eye Candy" side bar!

Plus, are they going to start a comments section there? It would be easier to comment on your column.