Monday, June 18, 2007

SSX Blur

Developer: EA Sports BIG
Publisher:
Electronic Arts
Release Date: Feb. 27, 2007
System:
Wii
Official Web page

In a nutshell:
Nothing makes you feel more like a snowboarder than waving a remote around.

0:01 Any game that features a character named "Psymon" in its intro. starts out with a strike against it.
0:02 The game feels the need to explain how to use the Wii remote as a pointer. Possibly the most intuitive console interface ever made, and still they need to give directions.
0:05 Working through the tutorial. Using the controls stick in conjunction with tilting the Nunchuk isn't immediately intuitive, but it shows promise.
0:10 Using a whole 'nother hand for the tricks will take some getting used to. If they tried, they coulda made this a one-handed game.
0:11 Just noticed that the music stops when you do. Nice touch.
0:16 After trying for five minutes straight I have yet to get off a single Ubertrick. There's nothing on-screen to show where you're pointing as you gesture. Annoying!
0:20 Only 4 of 12 characters available at the outset? I guess without Achievements they need something to keep you playing. Remember when playing used to be reward enough?
0:24 I have so much trouble getting points on the halfpipe I forget to finish. Still having some trouble with the trick controls.
0:27 Finish third place in the halfpipe this time. Getting more used to the controls, but I can't shake the feeling that there's less variety in the tricks than other SSX games. I still can't figure the Ubertricks for the life of me.
0:29 The loading is between events is short but still annoying. If you're going to make the game one big mountain, it should be a seamless getting from place to place..
0:33 The Kick Doubt mode doesn't give you enough time to finish. I want to do tricks, not focus on getting to the end.
0:36 The trick controls are way too sensitive. I'm pulling off tricks even when I don't mean to. I find myself missing the simplicity of controller buttons.
0:40 The slalom points out the difficulties with the tilt controls. I just can't turn sharply enough.
0:43 I figured out the problem. My natural inclination is to point the Nunchuk right and left instead of rolling it like the game wants. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get over my predelictions.
0:45 The music is nice and ambient, capturing the mood well without being distracting or annoying. I like the character animation too.
0:48 Trying to do ubertricks again on the halfpipe. Nothing doing. Would it kill them to put a pointer on the screen?
0:53 A race, finally. It's ind of lonely with only one competitor. Doing tricks doesn't seem to have direct correlation to speed... I miss the turbo from previous games.
0:56 For a game that traditionally encourages finding shortcuts, this one is pretty harsh about reseting you if you go off the beaten path.
0:58 My wrist hurts from constantly jumping.

Would I play this game for more than an hour? No.
Why? Let's put it this way -- the answer would probably be "Yes" if the game used a standard controller with buttons and such.

This review is based on a full version of the game rented from Gamefly.

2 comments:

Lemmiwinks said...

Yo - Did you figure out the uuber-controls yet? You don't have to point at the screen, you just need to match the motions needed for the tricks, doesn't matter where you're pointing. It's a bitch, but I hope you ended up having some fun with it, as once you get the hang of it it can be quite fun.

Anonymous said...

Just a heads up, there was a turbo button, it was C on the nunchuck. It draws from your power meter that lets you do uber tricks. So, do tricks to get boost, boost to do tricks, I think the system balances out nicely.